I used to frequent the W Singapore Sentosa Cove a little more often last year when I purchased the Sip and Indulge membership in 2014 - the programme is now slightly different from what it was then! For those of you who have been to the Sunday Brunch at the W Singapore Sentosa Cove, you might (or not have) noticed that part of the buffet spread spills over to SKIRT. The restaurant which is only open in the evening, is known to offer prime cuts of meats and sustainably sourced seafood on the impressive parrilla grill.
As part of an effort to increase awareness of this beautiful space, SKIRT is currently running a Route 88 dinner promotion from Mondays to Thursday which is a new 3-course menu where the diner will have a choice of beef, pork, lamb or fish - there is also a vegetarian option but did you really come to SKIRT for that?
The interiors of SKIRT looks amazing and while the property is quite a drive away from the city (it is located at the end of Sentosa after all), you do get to enjoy an idyllic dining atmosphere which almost feels like you are miles away from the city life. In fact, while you are at SKIRT, be sure to ask one of the wait staff or restaurant manager about the restaurant's design inspiration - there is quite a story to be told.
It does get quite dark inside the restaurant which is perfect for a dining atmosphere but the photos that turned out from my dinner were not particularly stunning due to the low light - it may or may not have to do with my lack of motivation to use a flash unit.
Instead of finding a bread basket with assorted bread rolls, they will be presented the above format with a chorizo oil that is just ingenious and extremely delicious. Go easy on them because you want to save room (in your stomach) for the actual meal. As mentioned earlier, the Route 88 comes with a choice of starter, main course and dessert for S$88++ per adult - the aforementioned courses have been playfully named the Start of Route, Pit Stop and End of Route.
START OF ROUTE
There are four main choice (pick one!) for your starter:
- Tuna Ponzu, Chive Flower Slaw and Crispy Rice - my favourite amongst the four that I have sampled that night. It vaguely reminds me of a pokebowl or a kaisendon but a lot lighter and more refreshing.
- Crab Cake with Cucumber and Spiced Foam - another great dish if you love crab meat! It is filled with generous, chunky and naturally-sweet flesh of crab.
- Confit Duck Leg with Slow Cooked Hen's Egg and Root Vegetables
- Nashi Pear and Beets Tartare Salad with Brin D'amour Goat Cheese - even as a non-cheese lover, I found the goat cheese component to be light enough for my liking - an absolutely refreshing dish that is perfect for diners looking to start their meal with something light.
For the Pit Stop, I had the SKIRT Duo of Beef from the Parrilla Grill - this changes from time to time due to what's the best cut available but I sampled the USDA Brandt Tenderloin and the Black Angus Grain Fed MS5+ Sirloin that night with a side of wasabi mash and wild field farmer's salad. If you love your steaks, SKIRT really has some extremely underrated cuts here - I love the beefiness of the USDA tenderloin but that black angus stole the show for me.
END OF ROUTE
Lastly for dessert, a choice of one of the following three selections:
- Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate
- Trio Palette Creme Brulee - Milk Chocolate & Hazelnut, Coconut & Lemongrass and Earl Grey Tea
- Yuzu Cheese Tart, Granny Smith Apple Sorbet, Raspberry, Yuzu Curd
If you are ever looking for a good steak and seafood restaurant that is away from the usual suspects in Singapore, SKIRT offers a much-welcome recluse from the norm. Priced at just S$88++ per pax, the Route 88 menu is seriously value for money - you can also earn Starpoints on spending here and be sure to check with the restaurant for any SPG member discounts!