From now until 05 October 2018, purchase Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles and get up to 50% bonus miles - these miles are great for Business Class and First Class flights but it does require some creative routing. I have written about these bonuses a few times now and they are usually capped at 40% for most members so make sure to log-in to your account to see whether it is targeted for the 50% bonus!
While Alaska Airlines use to not impose a fee on trip changes and cancellations if it is 60 days or more before the date of departure, this has changed on 05 June 2018 - the change and cancellation fee is now USD 125. However, if you are an MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member, these fees will not apply to you. In other words, you will not be required to pay a change or cancellation fee if you are a mid- or top-tier elite member. Even though I am based in Singapore, my trips on Emirates in recent months have allowed me to hit MVP Gold so these change fees do not apply to me (therefore making these miles a lot more valuable!).
- There are truly so many ways to make use of these Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles and the most popular one is to take a return Business Class flight to Tokyo on Japan Airlines - I have written about this trick back in May 2017 when it was not as well-known as it is now but if you are still clueless about what I am referring to, you can basically redeem for a free Business Class flight on Japan Airlines for 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles. Redeeming for a SIN-HND-BKK flight in Business Class will cost you only 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles since it is considered one-way and you will be able to stopover in Tokyo (therefore breaking the trip up). To get back to Singapore, simply purchase a ticket from BKK to SIN and you are done. Check out my Business Class trip reports on Japan Airlines below:
- Japan Airlines Business Class - HND-SIN (Haneda to Singapore)
- Japan Airlines Business Class - SIN-HND (Singapore to Haneda)
- Japan Airlines Business Class - HND-BKK (Haneda to Bangkok)
- Japan Airlines Business Class - KUL-NRT (Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo)
With the current 50% bonus on Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles purchase, you may be able to purchase them at as little as USD 19.71 per 1,000 block of miles. However, do note that you will have to purchase at least 40,000 miles to trigger the 50% bonus (if your account has been targeted) so you are looking at spending USD 1,182.50 for 60,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles (more than enough for two Business Class trips to Tokyo!).